Thursday, December 30, 2010

I survived 2010

I know the year isn't quite over yet but I've had so many thoughts racing through my mind that I've barely slept in days.
Let's be honest - this year sucked for me. It started off horribly.
I was in a dead end relationship and everyone knew it, except for me, well maybe I knew and I just didn't want to admit it to myself. I was cut off from friends and family, I had this "boyfriend" who mentally tormented me and took away everything important to me. He made me feel so awful about myself, I cried all the time. I cried myself to sleep, I cried in the shower. I cried as long as no one saw me because I wanted to put on this brave face and pretend everything was fine. Turns out, hiding your problems doesn't fix them, they surface and nothing good comes from it. Just a lot of heartache and more tears. Ten months ago, I felt as though I couldn't breathe, like the air had been sucked out of my lungs. I felt as though half of my body was missing. How was I to live on my own? How am I ever going to take care of myself? I had someone do that for three years. To make things extraordinarily worse, I lost my job and was left with 3 years worth of credit card debt. The person I trusted more than anything in this world, just walked away, like the last 3 years never took place. Just a bad dream right? Not for me. I had nothing but time. Too much time on my hands. I criticized every aspect of myself before I realised there really is nothing wrong with me - it was him. He lied, he cheated, he abused drugs and became this shell of a person I knew. I don't cry over him, I actually don't miss him at all. This is more of a reflection of the year 2010. All of these things happened to me before March 1st, 2010. Five days away from my 22ND birthday. Everyone told me this would be a great learning experience. I didn't want a learning experience. I wanted my life back because no matter how terrible it was, I was comfortable with it and here I was thrown out of my comfort zone.
Finally, in May things turned around. I found my dream job, all my hard work in school was beginning to pay off. I work with a great team of people who encourage me to learn and grow as a dental assistant. I earn more than minimum wage which I really like.
I was able to go to Halifax and visit relatives. I saw the ocean again for the first time in 6 years! I experienced Nova Scotia in the summer, something I have never done before. Turns out, you can drink on boats and it's called a booze cruise and it is really cool. You don't have to be drunk to feel drunk on a booze cruise
I healed my relationship with my best friend, over lots and lots of gin/vodka - whatever suited our mood that particular night. I went to the Toronto Zoo for the first time since I was a little kid. There were some awesome polar bears this year. And hippos.
I've been able to spend time with my Grandma again which I love.
I can shop without feeling guilty, I can buy designer things and actually enjoy them.
I became an auntie to a gorgeous little boy who I love more than anything and I can spoil him rotten.
I am comfortable with myself, I am so happy to be on my own, to learn who I really am, without being a part of a couple. Couples kinda suck, because you have to compromise and I don't want to do that anymore. Not right now anyways. It's time to be selfish for awhile. It's time to learn who I am, instead of what I am or was, which was some one's girlfriend.
I've had all these amazing adventures this year, and all I have focused on is this bullshit that started the year off.
Things started off so poorly that I have been terrified of a new year, which is a silly fear to have, but I'm just waiting for another sucker punch. Something to knock me down. I am not an optimistic person, in fact today was one of those days where I felt like kicking puppies or something except I really like puppies so I would have to find something else to kick.
But a good friend, reminded me that I can't live in fear. In fact she said my fear was stupid because the only person who can fix what I don't like in my life is me. She said I don't have to grow up yet, but the new year is coming wether I want it to or not. There's nothing I can do to stop that, not even hiding under a big pile of coats. The important thing in this entire rant is that I survived. I survived all of it. 2010 is finally over and I can look forward to a fresh start so here is to 2011. It better rock or I will find that big pile ol' coats and never come out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I stumbled upon your Blog a couple of days ago. I must say you are a really interesting person. I would like to know why you stopped writign though???

Sarah (Sydney Australia)

Anonymous said...

Hollywood sneaker fashion and style [url=http://www.clshoestoronto.com/]Christian Louboutin Sale[/url] Reality apparel will always be usually there to incorporate more and more pizazz for you semblance, these kind of have fun playing a far more a lot of job nowadays in this clothes. Preceding coverings were actually normally [url=http://www.clshoestoronto.com/christian-louboutin-wedges-c-70.html]Christian Louboutin Wedges[/url] Louboutin employed to wear a christmas costume an outfit but nonetheless , platter . it appears as if guys and women think about any of add-ons first of all and thereafter to get a outfits to be able to children. Completely applying for for ones alteration in knowledge usually are approved to go to the film this invests reams out of conventional paper [url=http://www.clshoestoronto.com/cl-barcelona-gladiator-platforms-p-188.html]CL Barcelona Gladiator Platforms[/url] over speaking these footwear, plastic bags and additionally jewelery displayed inside the super stars. Eye-catching high flyers inside their place a bid to be some of the call for the media channels normally mind to suit your needs the majority jarring boots as they are conscious his / her position could well be come across. Informs, superstars make full use of impressive high heel dress shoes to assist them to get noticed [url=http://www.clshoestoronto.com/] http://www.clshoestoronto.com/ [/url] along with be kept in the buzz.
mnbvcxz0030

Anonymous said...

The following post, which originated on Insights’ blog, covers answers to questions posed by attendees what credibility issues can arise from information found on the internet These answers came from John from State Auto Insurance.