Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Scrambled

I haven't blogged in a couple days because my mind is just absolutely scrambled. I was able to rewrite my capstone. My teacher was kind enough to take all my hard work and scribble and cross out anything that she didn't like or that I had done wrong. So the very day that I failed my capstone, I sat in the computer lab for a very uncomfortable seven hours. Those cheap plastic computer chairs are a special kind of torture let me tell you. I finally finished it by 5pm and handed it in, never wanting to look at it again.
Friday was my Advertising gala. The pictures are posted on my mom's blog, you just have to scroll through two posts to get to them if you haven't already seen them. The gala was okay but everyone started leaving early probably because the DJ sucked some serious ass and I picked him so props to me ...not. The food was fantastic though and that's all that really matters. There was a huge roast beef buffet followed by the biggest and tastiest dessert buffet I had ever seen in my life. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures.
Saturday I went to the bar with Spencer and his work peeps. Spencer had a job interview at the bar... so now he has two jobs and I have none. I started getting a little too drunk so we went downstairs and enjoyed some nachos but really I wasn't having that great of a time so we decided to leave early.
I really need to start looking for a job, I have perused job websites and I have read all the job postings at the hospital since I've been there quite a bit the last two days. I applied for a copywriting job at the local newspaper only to have no luck. I have discovered on my mediocre job hunt that most places that hire advertising people are out of town and want you to have your own laptop. Well, let's think...I don't drive or even have a car. I don't have my own laptop so I will probably end up working some crappy job just to save up enough mula to get those really expensive things that I need to work in my field.
I have no idea what I am going to do or what I want to do which is why my mind is absolutely scrambled. Completely and utterly scrambled into a giant mess of everything. The Advertising program coordinator wants me to go Toronto for the Copywriting program. I'm thinking no thanks, I find Toronto a little too overwhelming after a couple of days so I think two years there won't do me any good.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? I could use a little help.

4 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I had a funny feeling this is where you'd be at now.

First of all, just take a week to breathe. College is intense, and you had some hard times. Take a week off the relax and de-scramble. Don't think too much!

Next, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a job outside your field for a little while. Maybe a retail job that you really like, and in the meantime, casually look for something you're qualified for.

This will sort itself out.

Have faith.

xo

CindyDianne said...

I think Heidi is right. It isn't easy to get right into your chosen field right after getting out of school. It would probably help your range of hireability (is that a word?) if you did the copy writing program. But, I completely understand why you wouldn't want to do that! Do get a job outside the field and then buy that laptop. Also, see if there isn't something you could work at from home. That wouldn't require a car!

lexiloo said...

i agree with both of the comments above. you are in a very common place, what to do after you've been in school your whole life?? i recommend doing some soul searching and find what you really love, then follow that passion and make it into a career. there may be some expenses and bumps in the road but it will all be worth being happy in your job since its all work from here on out!

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey, I heard you got an awesome mark in one of your courses!

I wanna hear more about that!!!