Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I was punched in the face by punk rockers

Sunday we started the concert season. This year we kicked off the season by going to see one of my fav punk bands. We saw Rancid. It was awesome even though Rancid isn't very good live. There were two opening bands. They were okay, again not that great.
During the set up for the second warm up band, Spencer and I decided to get closer to the stage so that when Rancid was playing we could see them. Little did I know that I was standing in what is known as "the death zone." The first chord was plucked on that beat up Fender and people around me lost their minds and started moshing. My heart was racing, people were smashing into me and I was getting tossed around "the death zone." I lost Spencer in the crowd of lunatics, I became frantic, I started pushing back to get to Spencer so I could get the hell out of there. Next thing I know there is a fist in my face. It wasn't a very hard punch but enough for me to start pushing harder so I could get as far away from the "zone." My face wasn't bruised, not even a slight mark, I'm glad that my beautiful face wasn't smashed. Spencer saw the terror in my eyes and scooped me up, in seconds he had knocked over what seemed like a million punk rockers. I'm still wondering, what kind of people mosh to a warm up band???
I stayed on the side lines as people continued to smash each other around and then pick each other up off the beer soaked floor. I waited impatiently for Rancid to come out and play. It seemed like an eternity.
After an eternity of waiting Lars and Tim came on stage. They played Fall Back Down, Roots Radicals, Olympia, Old Friend, Black and Blue, Ruby Soho and they closed the show with Time Bomb. I'm disappointed that they didn't play Red Hot Moon, Salvation, California Sun and a few others. I was concerned that they weren't going to play Time Bomb but that was their encore, it was such a relief. I have the song on video thanks to my digital camera. And you can actually hear the song over the screaming. Well, I still can't hear but hey, I saw Rancid and it was awesome.
Tomorrow night, I'm going to see Billy Idol and Def Leppard. I'm practicing my fist pumps in excitement.

3 comments:

Biddie said...

Gah. Who do you belong to anyway??? Stay out of the mosh pit, you are way too cute and (SORRY) a bit of a princess/wuss.

Michael Colvin said...

I was once licked by a New Romantic. Does that count? :)

dilling said...

that kinda thing happened to me when I went to see Debbie Harry. Just after the Tom Tom Club, during the Ramones, some guy proceeded to completely slam dance me in the pit, again and again and again...until my GINORMOUS friends kicked his ass...heh heh...
wow...I am old, eh?