Friday, May 15, 2009

The Prince Among Men

Spencer and I were invited to a Stag and Doe tomorrow. I don't want to go. I am not a people person, I am shy. I am an introvert. And most of the time his work friends don't talk to me. His co-workers think he is great - he is the prince among men at work. And me I don't know where I fit in. They don't talk to me, they don't introduce themselves, Spencer always introduces me unless he can't remember the name of his co-worker. So I don't want to go. I don't want to be left out as he and his crew proceed to get shitfaced. (It's just plain rude, not to introduce yourself to someone new and it leaves a really bad first impression.)However, it seems as though I am being persuaded into it. I know that I could make the effort to introduce myself but it's hard when 15 people are chatting away and you can't get a word in edge wise. I hate it, I hate going to his work related events or events for people from work. I am trying to talk my friend into coming with me because I usually try to drag her along to these things. This way, as they are telling their stupid "Haha can you believe that actually happened today at work?" stories, we proceed to do shots and dance and sometimes there is singing involved but only after a certain number of shots. Hopefully, she will oblige or I am in trouble.

4 comments:

dilling said...

dang... too late to comment before you go...
introduce yourself as somebody else...create a person....a whole backstory....whatevs.
at the next party, when they call you on it? you confess who you are, and you're in.

Biddie said...

Did you go?? You were home for dinner, weren't you???
I hate those things too. I hate when Shawn and Mark get together and talk all drywally. Ooh, measurements, ahhh, drywall....
BORING.

Michael Colvin said...

I am so with you on this one. I find these things excruciating and I am only comfortable with people that know me. My way of dealing is to get shitfaced and act like an idiot. I don't get invited out much.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Yeah I do the whole shitfaced thing too. Luckily, I am a very happy drunk and people find me charming for the most part.
We didn't end up going, thank God. And the girl who invited us was so mad at Spencer and I for not going that she refused to talk to him at work all day on Monday. You're getting married and you're giving your friend the cold shoulder at work? I guess the work place is like high school all over again.