Friday, May 04, 2007

Rubber + Heat = Fire

On Wednesday, after Spencer and I crawled our asses out of bed around 1pm we decided we were going to go to the Mandarin's All You Can Eat Buffet for an enjoyable eating experience. This was going well until we arrived at the Mandarin at 2:55pm at which point we were told that the buffet was closing in five minutes but we were more than welcome to go in and eat for five minutes. We decided that we would return around dinner time when they reopened.
Since Spencer's mother drove us up there we were forced to participate in her errands since we had about 90 minutes to kill.
She had to go to Canadian Tire to return a steering wheel cover that she didn't want for whatever reason. We decided to wait in the car. After what seemed like an eternity, she returned with a new steering wheel cover. As we were driving back to the house she told us that the representative from the Automotive department told her to put the cover in the microwave for a minute because it would allow for the cover to bend, and mold to the steering wheel better. Spencer and I looked at her like she was crazy and as Spencer tried to tell her that it would be a really bad idea to put the cover in the microwave I tried to maintain my laughter.
When we returned to the house, Spencer's mother tried to cram the cover into the microwave and go figure it didn't fit. Since she was determined to put the cover in the microwave, we needed to find a way to shove it in there. Spencer folded it about 3 times, threw it in the microwave and slammed the door closed before it could pop back open. I stood there laughing.
After debating how long it should be in there, they decided that they would check on it after 30 seconds. 30 seconds came and past. Spencer opened the microwave door to find a flaming steering wheel cover. Smoke and the scent of burning rubber filled the kitchen in a matter of seconds. Spencer's mom grabbed the cover and threw it out on the front porch at which point she proceeded to rant about the fool jackass who sold her the damn steering wheel cover and told her to put it in the microwave.
Spencer and I laughed.
Then we took pictures.
And we laughed some more.
I'm not sure if the steering wheel cover was returned to Canadian Tire or not but I'm sure it was or will be interesting when she returns to the store with the remains of a rubber steering wheel cover.

6 comments:

Big Ben said...

It is hard to beleive that someone at Canadian Tire would dole out bad advice.

I've never personally felt my steering wheel needed to be covered in anything other than my hands.

Heidi the Hick said...

I gotta say it...

I am seriously worried about that woman! I don't think she's going to the picnic with a full wheelbarrow load of nails, if ya know what I mean. Few elephants short of a circus. Few cowboys short of a rodeo.

Or how about, dumb as a box of rocks?????

CindyDianne said...

A few chapters short of a book, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, a few sandwiches short of a picnic...

Michael Colvin said...

How funny and what silly advice. It's a shame you didn't post the pictures.

When I first left home I was nearly always late for work and if my shirts were still damp from the dryer I used to microwave them. :)

captain corky said...

I just hope nobody ever tells her to put metal in the microwave. Yikes!

Biddie said...

To be fair, she was ADVISED to do this....