Monday, April 12, 2010

Big Decisions

I have the opportunity to apply for an assisting job in the Cayman Islands.
It would be a two year contract with salary, benefits and transportation.
It sounds fun and interesting but I am a very family oriented person. I get home sick very easily.
There is this adventurous part of me that wants to apply for the position. I think it would be a great experience, it would be new and exciting. I could avoid winter for two whole years! It would be like living in a picture. I imagine sipping margaritas on the beach in my free time. Laying in the sun and relaxing. I could live on the beach like I've always wanted. I could wear flip flops all year long. Aside from living in paradise, I would be working in the field that I want, I would be doing what I love most.
I don't own a house, a car or any sort of assets. I have a mountain of credit card debt, a 3 year Blackberry contract and student loans but that's about it.
This is my problem. I am a big chicken, I hate change. When I feel overwhelmed by personal problems, I feel the need to run away from them, avoid them for a little while. Is two years too long to hide from them?
I would miss my family like crazy. I would be lonely without a dog sleeping at the foot of my bed. I would have to make this trip on my own and I'm not sure if that's something I'm ready for. I could end up missing holidays, birthdays and other special occassions. It would be an extra long vacation by myself. I'm really undecided. I am too nervous to even apply. And I'm already stressed that I don't have a passport. My family couldn't afford to come visit me and what if I couldn't get away from work to come see them? This is my problem, I barely know anything about the position and I am already debating "what ifs"
I do think I need a change, a new adventure. But how far am I willing to go? What am I willing to give up? Would I be able to live without my family for two years? I'm really not sure.
I think the first step is to just apply and see where it goes from there. Maybe the position is already filled, who knows? I need to be brave and just apply instead of worrying. I have nothing to worry about until I get a reply.
What do you think? Honest opinions are appreciated please.

1 comment:

DILLIGAF said...

If the Cayman Islands are nice and warm and sunny go for it!!!!!