Friday, September 07, 2007

The Filthy Habit

I must rant about this. It has been driving me nuts.
I hate smoking and everything about it.
Everywhere I go on campus there is some asshole with a cigarette in his hand or mouth. They're standing in the bus shelters that are clearly labelled "No Smoking."
I really believe that there is no reason for people my age to be smoking. With everything we know about smoking, with all the help there is in Ontario to help smokers quit there should be no one smoking.
Smoking in Ontario is practically illegal and yet they won't put down the tube full of toxins.
In Ontario, smokers are no longer allowed to smoke indoors of any restaurant or public building.
Smokers are not allowed to smoke in any covered area including bus shelters, restaurant and bar patios.
Last year the government implemented a law which bans parents/guardians from smoking in their vehicles when they are children present.
I am so sick and tired and going outside and walking through clouds of smoke.
I'm sick and tired of inhaling other people's bad habits.
This bad habit does not only affect the smoker themselves but it affects the people around them. Second hand smoke is just as bad as smoking itself.
I'm also tired of smokers claiming that they have rights. Yes they do have rights but when your filthy habit begins to affect the others around you it is no longer a right. Also, smoking is not a right it is a privledge, it is a choice that one makes of their own free will. If you want to smoke in peace, go into your home, all by yourself and smoke away. No one will bother you there, no one can take away your "right."
As a non smoker I can say that smoking is YOUR bad habit and I did not choose to inhale chemicals and toxins into my body.
The next time I am waiting in the bus shelter or any other public place and I kindly ask you to move aside because the smoke is bothering, don't tell me about your rights, just move.
If you refuse to use the resources that the region has provided for you to help quit, if you refuse to abide by the laws, if you refuse to ignore the facts, then you have made your choice. And you have to live it with it. Not me.

9 comments:

Biddie said...

Well, you already know how I feel about this...
I have no idea why a kid would evr start smoking..I understand that some adults have been doing it for YEARS, long b4 we knew how bad it really was. I understand that it is SO hard to quit. But WHY would anyone start NOW knowing what we do?
The doctor told me (and Gramma) that Jessica's diabetes may have been triggered by second hand smoke in our home. I did not smoke, and I BEGGED Geoff to quit. Nope. He still hasn't, but now he's killing someone else's kids. Not my problem. He did however, affect MY daughter for the rest of her life. Where are her rights in this debate?
I have friends that smoke, and that's fine. I know that when I go to their house(s), they will be smoking. No problem. My choice to be there. I do not have a choice when I just wantto step on to the bus, and I have to walk thru a cloud of blue smoke.
If I pick my nose, I don't wipe my boggers on other people. When I am drinking, I don't spit booze on people...MY bad habits...
I think that I could rant forever too......

Michael Colvin said...

I am glad that smoking has just been banned in all public buildings in the UK. It is much nicer in restaurants and pubs now.

It makes me sad to see so many young people smoking. Most of the staff on our service desk are in their twenties and smoke. I suspect it has a lot to do with body image and wanting to stay stick thin (boys & girls) as well as the perceived "cool" factor.

I guess they have to find these things out for themselves and hopefully before it is too late. I say this as an ex chain smoker who gave up twenty years ago.

Michael Colvin said...

[If I pick my nose, I don't wipe my boggers on other people.]

Is that wrong then? LoL Biddie!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Smoked from 15 - now almost 50. Told to stop by the doc after a ticker scare but turns out me lungs are 100%, me liver is 100% and me heart is ok once 1 blocked artery is sorted.

Never smoked in a house. Only in a pub or the back garden. Now only in the back garden or the beer garden of a pub.

Thing is you're right but we shouldn't all be criminalised.

I went into a pub beer garden and lit up in the designated spot and a woman said "Put that out please". I ignored her and she flounced off. I was in the designated area but she wanted that bit as well!!!

I guarantee I'll stop. Eventually.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I totally agree with my mom, there are people who have been smoking for years and it is really hard to quit. I understand that if I go to a smoker's home it is my choice to be there. All I want is for smokers to at least abide by the laws and smoke where it is permitted.

Biddie said...

I used to smoke, too. Not for very long, and I quit when my kids asked me to. How could I say no to my wide eyed 5 year old?
So glad that I did quit.

captain corky said...

I chewed tobacco for 15 years. I'm glad I finally quit and now that I have a kid I want to strangle anyone who smoke within a 10 mile radius of him.

Heidi the Hick said...

agreed.

FOUR DINNERS said...

If you go to a smokers home they should have the respect to go outside and smoke. It may be their home but, if they value you, they shouldn't chance putting you at risk. Especially not any kids that are there.

I never smoke in my home regardless. Well, only when I set meself on fire