Thursday, December 14, 2006

Beta Still Blows...and I hate/love my job

So, I've done some research as to why I can't switch to Beta. And here's why...it really is a stupid thing. Only certain templates for blogs have been switched to Beta. And apparently my blog/template is one of the few that has not been switched to Beta yet. How stupid is that???!! Seriously. So I just want you all to know that I am reading your Blogs, I'm just not allowed to comment on them, because I am not technologically developed yet. Stupid Beta.
And what does Beta mean? Anyone? Every time I hear the word Beta I think of the Betas from the 70's and the episode of That 70's Show. You know the one where Red buys the Beta and tells Kitty, that they aren't going to watch Roots, they are going to record it then watch it. But Red forgets to put the tape in and Kitty misses Roots. I think that I might watch a little too much television. Not exactly sure.
Anyways, here is a list of reasons I hate my job
  • I'm not very good with people. Despite my rep as being one of the friendliest cashiers and I have never had a complaint against me, I still don't like people.
  • I have to remember all these stupid codes, that once I get a career, I won't remember what I did yesterday but I will know the code for bananas.
  • People always complain about prices with me. Seriously, I will have customers argue about the price of products when I know the price and I know they're wrong. But you know they always throw the "Customer is always right speil"
  • I hate my stupid green shirt with yellow logo. Seriously who picked these colors? A blind man????
  • I hate that I work, 30 hours a week, make $7.75 an hour and then the union and taxes take about $20 off my $200 cheque...every damn week.
  • I hate that we sell bags. Why? Why must we be so cheap? That's why I always give them away.
  • People are rude. I'm not kidding you. I have dealt with more rude people in the last six months or 345.75 hours than I have in my whole entire life.
  • People let their kids run through the store, open packages, slober all over them and then ask you to scan the product..."Uh no, I don't want to touch that and no I don't think its cute that your little hellion opened up this package of crackers, threw them all over the store and now you don't want to buy it." But I love kids. Really, I do.
  • Parents allow their children to climb on the conveyor belts, get behind the register with me and sometimes try to press buttons. In the end, the only buttons they are pressing are mine.
  • It's not very challenging...any idiot could do this.
  • I always get the creepy, dirty old men, who stare blankly at me, then throw in the occasional "I can't see your name tag" line and my reply as always is "I'm not wearing it."
  • And when I do wear the name tag, I get the dirty old men who stare blankly and use my name in every sentence "How are you Adult in Question?" "How long have you worked here "Adult in Question" "You have beautiful eyes Adult in Question..." And you know exactly what they are staring at and let me tell you it is definately not my name tag.
  • Oh and did I mention I work in the service industry andI hate people?

Now for Why I LOVE my job.

  • I love the people I work with, even Anne who I had problems with before. We get along much better now.
  • I can almost always get the time off I need except around holidays because I always forget to hand in my time request sheets. The bookkeeper, always schedules me around the days that I request. For example when I said I didn't want to work past 8pm on school nites or that certain days during the week weren't good for me she said "Okay, no problem. What days do you want to work?" and now that I'm on vaca, I asked for full time hours I got them.
  • Despite the colors of the uniform, I can wear whatever black pants I want...including track pants and jeans. Although, they can get touchy about jeans. Just depends who is in office.
  • I'm not stuck in a kitchen frying up grease burgers and fries with a diet soda. Also, this gets rid of the icky, grease scent, that no matter how many times you bathe you still smell because it never goes away.
  • I like saying "Would you like bags with that?" instead of "Would you like fries with that?" it's all about preferences people.
  • It gives me money. Money, that I love to spend.
  • Oh and I smell the sweet scent of promotion because I have been training to work in office.

11 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Can't switch to Beta either. Do I give a shit? Whaddya think???

Hate me job love bein a Union Rep. Spent most of me life bein right wing n now I'm an apprentice commie!! What a world!!

DRUNK PUNK RADIO kicks off midnight Saturday. Dunno what that is your time. Hope yer make it. Instructions on me blog to listen.

Ta for the nice thoughts for Jax. She's doin fine. x

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Eventually, they will make us switch to Beta!!!
I'll try and find out what time DRUNK PUNK RADIO starts.
I'm glad that Jax is doing well.

Anonymous said...

You know I've come to the conclusion that all jobs suck. It's just that some pay better or are more bearable than others.

Give me a margerita by the pool anyday.

Anonymous said...

I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I hate working and hate my boss, but I never have to see him in person and I work in what's basically a bomb shelter with 4 other guys, and I never have to deal with the public.

I consider myself to be an Alpha Blogger. By the way I can't see your name tag in your pic, could you please expand your picture Adult in Question?

Anonymous said...

Is your template not like mine, only different colors?

Heidi the Hick said...

Great list!!!!

I promise I won't stare at your name tag. You have pretty eyes, are they real??? hahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

I hate Beta.
I think that when you a have a job that pays you enough to oh, say take the bus or buy a coffee now and again, you'll feel better.
You know that guys AREN'T looking at your name tag, right?

Anonymous said...

they are pretty eyes....
good luck in the office... i think i might prefer the floor work to the office, given the management of the grocery store i used to work at...I still have my green vest with my name embroidered on it...a lovely parting gift...

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Tod- I do love a good margarita.
CindyDianne - I'm not sure about the template thing I will look into it.
Heidi- If you don't know wether my eyes are real or not then I just don't know what to say.
Dilling - I hate office because the girls tend to go on power trips once they get in there. But customers are being a major pain in my ass these days so any break from them I can get I will definately take.

Anonymous said...

Good list. Balanced and look at as a "stepping stone", not a career. You are too good to remain in retail sales. All jobs have their pros and cons. Its finding one that you enjoy doing and do well...and one that I believe makes a difference. In other words, more than just a "job".

Anonymous said...

Sorry about beta. It's just the next version. I'm sure they'll go all the way to zed before blogger works perfectly!! ;-)

Well, with work, at least you are in school, and know you won't have to do this job forever!!