Sunday, December 08, 2013

Where is the love?

I thought Christmas was a time when people were kind and sharing. The whole "Christmas spirit" thing. Apparently not. We are in such a rush to buy gifts and prepare the home for family and friends that we forget the others around us. We become these obsessed people and forget to look at the world around us. For instance, my cat Dave escaped from the house the other night. He has done it before. He often whines at the back door to be let out. He is not an outdoor cat, no matter what his cat head may think. He was gone less than 12 hours when I received a call from the local humane society telling me they had Dave. I was relieved and pissed off because it would cost $35 to get his butt out of cat prison. Money I would have to borrow from my mom. It turns out someone had brought him in thinking he was a stray despite the fact that he is somewhat obese and he was wearing his collar with all his info on it. Someone had caught him a trap meant for a raccoon. Dave came home looking like he just went 12 rounds in the ring because someone has an illegal trap out. I was also able to find out that the person who "caught" Dave lives less than a block away. It is a longer distance to drop the cat off at the humane society than it is to have returned him home. I was livid. Dave had been in the care of the humane society for less than 2 hours and I still had to pay the $35 to bail him out. But he is home and safe for now... In the meantime, my boyfriend who lives in a different city about 45 minutes away was hit by a car. He had the right of way as a pedestrian and checked traffic before crossing. Someone in their car, disregarded the signs and he noticed almost immediately. As my boyfriend was trying to jump back on to the curb this person hit him. His head and face bounced off the curb. The driver took off. No one stopped to help him or stay as a witness to the incident. He spent hours in t he hospital. Thankfully, his injuries are not nearly as severe as they could be. He has a concussion and sore neck which could cause problems later. He is home and safe now as well. I am annoyed and disturbed by the inconsiderate actions of people lately. No one can make a phone call to return a cat? More importantly no one can stop to check on someone who was a victim of a crime? How can you leave someone laying on the side of the road? Or just walk past them and continue on your way? Have we become so self absorbed that we don't see anyone except ourselves? I thought at Christmas at the very least, people would have more compassion and understanding. Maybe we all need to stop and check ourselves before heading out the door for the day and not just around the holidays but every day.

No comments: