Friday, May 09, 2014

The Hospital Fiasco

1am and hysterical, I sign my name to the clipboard to be seen by the triage nurse. I am called in almost immediately. A barrage of questions, quick scribbles on to a paper and I am moved to the next area of waiting. This goes on and on for hours. Finally, I explain to the nurse that I have an MRI appointment across town and will I be seen by a doctor by that time. Of course not. It is revealed that there will be no one there to help me until after 7am. I had to sign out against medical advice and return after my MRI. If I had not asked, we would have continued to wait in this tiny room with some chairs across from the security desk. I ask for the paperwork to sign out of the hospital, which is promptly given to me, however they have misplaced the medication I brought with me. After my appointment, I return to the hospital, sign the clipboard and start the whole waiting game all over again. I see a nurse, social worker, emerg doctor and a psychiatrist who ask me all the same questions. They ask me if I see people, do I hear voices, what day is it, what time it is etc. I pass the pop quiz. No one takes a look at the biohazard bag full of pills I have. They give the number for a 24 hour crisis hotline and send me on my way to follow up with the psychiatrist I already have in the community. Unfortunately, for me, this isn't the beginning. It's more like the middle of a bad movie and you can't decide to stop watching it or follow through. More to come on that, this is an ongoing issue and will take many blog posts.

No comments: