Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Psychiatrist

I have been seeing a psychiatrist in my community for quite some time now. I don't particularly like him but there are a shortage of them and the waiting list can be a year or longer. So I grudgingly see him. On February 28th of this year I explained to him that I was feeling overwhelmed, stressed, frustrated and that my anxiety had increased drastically. His response "from a psychiatric standpoint, you are a mess and I don't know what to tell you." With that, my appointment was over. I left feeling more broken and distraught than when I had arrived. I came home and told my mom but no one had no idea how to respond to that. No one knew how to make me feel better or what they could say or do to ease my pain. I went to my follow up appointment as promised when I left the hospital. I told him immediately that I was angry with him. I was angry because I had told him at my last appointment how I felt. His only concern was that I was angry with him. He did not ask what led to the angry slashes on my left wrist. He did not ask about my medication. He just wanted to make sure he could wipe his hands clean of my actions. I have never ever blamed anyone for what I did. Not once. I came to him for help long before I arrived at this point and he didn't help me. He made me feel dismissed and unimportant. My follow up appointment had been a large waste of time. My mom had come with me and she was present in the room. He made sure, his hands were clean. I felt as though he had no concern for my well being. He cleared my mom and I out of the room and scheduled an appointment 3 weeks later.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Behind Drake net worth is a modern empire of considerable breadth, which includes music, a clothing label, and endorsement deals.