Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Why do all good things come to an end?

I had no idea what to write about the last couple days. I have been so busy bitching about school and work that I had no idea what was going on with my high school friends. For the most part I had written them off, forgotten about them because we had spoken in months. I figured I had moved on and so had they.
When I went online yesterday I saw that everyone had the words REST IN PEACE in their name with the name of a boy I went to high school with. I started instant messaging my friends from high school. It was true, this boy was in a car accident that killed him instantly. 18 years old, his whole life ahead of him and now he is gone. I only knew of him, I didn't know him personally, but I know a ton of people who did know him personally.
I sit here, reading memorials, reading memories of this person and memories of high school come flooding back to me. High school seemed so long ago, but today I am right there all over again. I'm walking through the caf in my blue polyster pants and white cotton golf shirt, looking for my friends. It was so crowded, our school was overpopulated by about 500 people. We had three lunches and finding your friends was a task. I hated high school, but at the same time I find myself wishing I was there right now.
I wish I could be there for my friends, but I don't know how to be there. I listen to them , I tell them it will be okay, but how can you promise that when you don't know for sure. I think that they have a point when they say you don't realise how important something is until it's gone.

1 comment:

captain corky said...

It's been so long since I've seen anyone from high shool. I'm still friends with 5 of the guys I've been friends with all my life but that's about it.