Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Work placement, it's a scary yet wonderful place

I started my work placement yesterday and I wasn't nervous. In fact I was really excited. I stayed at the college to work internally for my program co-ordinator's advertising firm. It was a good choice because it gives me the opportunity to get caught up on work that I missed out on, develop my portfolio so it looks absolutely amazing and better than everyone else's. Oh yeah, and I'm in a completely comfortable area and don't have to worry about transportation.
I have two projects that I am currently working on with another girl as well as my own assignments that I am behind on. I don't want to bring school work home though because our computer has been a mess of sorts recently. It keeps getting viruses and such. I would be so upset if one of my projects for school was destroyed.
It's a really great work environment because I make my own hours every single day of the week. As long as I am in by 10am every morning I can basically come and go as I please.
Also, this week is reading week so 95% of the students are not at the college. This means I can actually get a seat on the bus, I don't have to fight for lab time,and the best part - no line up at Tim Horton's. I can get my coffee fix as often as I want and I don't have to stand in line for half an hour.
I don't have to dress professionally except for when we meet with external clients which is very nice even though I spent a lot of money on clothes.
Now for the not so great part of the week. D one of my teachers was supposed to do a mock interview with me for my career planning course. She was supposed to do it on Friday but she ran out of time. We were supposed to do it yesterday, she never showed up. . .even the program co-ordinator couldn't get a hold of her. The co-ordinator advised me to send her an email. I did that. She hasn't responded yet, so the co-ordinator emailed her as well to remind her. Still no response. She had an important meeting with the co-ordinator and she didn't show up, no one could get a hold of her.
So this is what I am thinking...maybe something, some sort of crisis has happened and she just hasn't had the opportunity to respond to emails. But then the bitter part of me is thinking, well she has professionally responsibilities so she should at least email someone to let them know that she won't be at the college. It would just be polite. To be prepared, in case she decides to show up at some point during the week I have been dressing professionally. She can be flaky, and she sometimes likes to do things at the spur of the moment. (I have to dress professionally for the interview because we are graded on appearance.)I'm annoyed but it's not that a big of a deal as long as it gets done at some point.
I hope that this time next week, I am still enjoying work placement and that these things will be resolved.

3 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself! good luck with the interview! :)

CindyDianne said...

Yay for having a good job placement! It sounds great.

dilling said...

sounds like a win-win situation on the job placement...I hope you still like it next week.