Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day Suckers!

Yesterday I was going to post a disgusting picture of the human heart with the caption "Happy Valentine's Day Suckers!" but as usual blogger was being a fuck ass and wouldn't let me access my account. Or maybe, blogger just knew what I was up to and didn't want me to be so cruel and disgusting.
This year for the first time ever I had a valentine. I was very excited. I couldn't shut up about it at work, I think they might kill me for bragging so much.
But I have a right because in grade school, kids were too busy bullying me and picking on me that Valentine's Day was just an excuse for them to leave me out of it or leave Valentine's Day cards with something nasty scribbled on to it.
So, for awhile I had a hatred for Valentine's day. In grade 10 I had a boyfriend but he was a nasty boy. We had a volatile relationship that ended in six months. On the exterior we looked like a cute, happy couple but on the inside we were ruining each other. More him ruining me. I didn't date for a very long time. Two years to be exact.
It was another crappy relationship that ended in three weeks. Apparently relationships that start in infidelity end in infidelity.
Once again, I didn't date for awhile. A year to be exact.
It was around Christmas time that I developed a crush on this boy at work. I tried really hard not to because it's a bad idea to mix business with pleasure. But he felt the same way. He was so sweet and did all these kind things for me. The night of the Christmas party he was sufficently intoxicated and gave me a big hug. He begged me not to leave, he wouldn't let go of my hand. I was a little worried but left because my ride was leaving. I also thought he was being a little weird so I wrote him off for a couple weeks.
On Christmas Eve when I had my injured shoulder he helped me out and made sure the managers didn't give me any crappy jobs. He wouldn't let the other grocery clerks tease me because I was hurt.
Then on New Year's Eve, he asked me if I had any plans for the night and as usual I had none. Living downtown, I was obligated to go to the free concert a few blocks up, plus Sloan was playing. Sloan is a decent band. One that my Dad and I both love. My Dad decided he wasn't going to go see the band. So I told him I was going to go see Sloan and he said that was his plan too. It was a total lie, he was supposed to go to a hotel party with his friend. But he ditched his friend for me and at midnight he kissed me. It was very cute.
So for the next few weeks I refused to define our relationship and what he was to me. My parents gave him the name "insignificant other" which he finds really funny.
Eventually, without saying anything he just became my boyfriend and I became his girlfriend.
He accepts how high maintenance I am and what a pain in the ass I am. He accepts the distinct insanity that I display on a regular basis. He's really good to me for some odd reason. Even after I dragged him over to my friend's house to move furniture and forced him into Build A Bear to make a pirate bear. He also went to Wal Mart with me to buy Play - Doh because I wanted some. See? Anyone else would have run away, screaming by now.
Since yesterday was Valentine's Day he took the liberty of planning something special. I didn't ask for anything. Nothing at all. He picked me up from work and gave me some yellow roses, then he took me to dinner. It was the first Valentine's Day that I didn't hate. That I didn't want to avoid.
I guess this makes me a sucker for Valentine's Day.

7 comments:

The Fashion Diva said...

The "IO" sounds like a wonderful chappy. I have to say based on my experiences, the kind of relationship you described - those that just happen and you don't really go looking for are the "bestest".

I'm glad to know that you finally had a Happy V-day and may you have many more. :)

In the past, I never made a lot of fuss over the day, however, it's a different story now as it's the anniversary of when The Englishman and I got married - eight years this year. My how time flies!

Heidi the Hick said...

Happy Valentine's Day, SUCKER!!!!!

I'm so happy to hear that you and Insignificant Other have moved into boyfriend/ girlfriend territory!

I suspect you may have been testing him all this time to see if he can keep up with you. Seems like he may have passed the test???? I think????

Love ya!!

captain corky said...

He sounds like a nice guy. We're very rare ya know! I'm glad you enjoyed Valentines Day. I like the way this real life story is beginning. Does he read your blog?

Biddie said...

Glad that this one isn't an asshole like M and J were. Glad that you loved your big V day celebration.
I hate Valentine's Day.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Nah, he doesn't read my blog but i do tell him that I blog about him.

dilling said...

SUCKER!!!! Sounds like he's a keeper! Congrats and welcome to the Valentine's Club. SUCKER!!!

FOUR DINNERS said...

good bloke. Like him already. Pirate Bear and Play-Doh eh? Good stuff.