Monday, October 15, 2007

I have no idea where to start. I've been thinking about how to write this for a few days but I'm just going to write it and if it doesn't make much sense I apologize now.
Last Thursday, my classmate was in a tragic incident. He was shot once in the chest and unfortunately that one small bullet managed to kill him. According to the newspapers and everything else this was a planned murder. The four suspects went there to deliberately kill him. None of us knew...
One classmate found out when a reporter showed up at her dorm. Another received phone calls from various media all night. Eventually she had to unplug her phone.
She phoned me at work. I called Spencer, I called my mom and I cried a little bit.
My classmate wasn't just my classmate he was my partner for my media project this semester. He was the positive influence in my groups class last year. He was the one person you couldn't be upset around because he would find a way to make you feel better. He always found the positives in a bad situation.
Last year, when I was struggling with a few group members he was there, he helped me any way he could.
He was always smiling, he was always happy. He was my age. He was 19. I really struggle with this thought.
I find it so weird that someone I know, someone that is my age is dead.
He was a skating coach, he was a talented musician with two bands, he was a student, he was a friend, he was a brother and most importantly he was someone's son.
Today at the funeral there were so many people that they didn't have enough room to house us all. We were basically sitting in the rafters of the citadel. The majority of the class showed and so did the program coordinator. The college is making a donation in his name to the Salvation Army which is what the family requested.
I don't think the class will ever be the same. I'm afraid that this situation will hinder the class for the rest of the year. I'm afraid of the huge elephant in the room that we are all distracted by but refuse to accept.
But tomorrow is a new day and we will see how it goes.

9 comments:

Biddie said...

He is all that I can think of, too. It seems so unfair that anyone should die that young.
I keep thinking of you, and I have been thanking God that I still have all of my girls. Then, I think of his family, his mom, and realize that they have lost a son. He was someone's baby boy.
It is so tragic, so unfreakingbelievable. I am still numb.

dilling said...

Sending what strength I can, wish there were some words to help...

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

It's all I can think about as well. I think that there is something so unnatural about parents having to bury their children.

katy said...

this is so very sad, i agree that it is unatural that parents should bury their children.
i lost a friend at age 16 and i still think of her, you will never forget him, he will have a place in your heart always, be brave x

CindyDianne said...

Sending you all thoughts and prayers.

Heidi the Hick said...

I have been struggling with this too, especially since my story involves a death. I wished that you'd never have to deal with this. Ever. I wish it wouldn't completely change the way you look at life, but it will.

Your class won't ever be the same without him. His loss will change everything. I think the worst thing you can do, as a class, is to try to move on like it didn't happen. He's gone and it leaves a hole in that group.

You were brave to go to his funeral. I can't imagine what his family are going through.

thinking of you (and of his loved ones.)

Michael Colvin said...

hugs...

FOUR DINNERS said...

Bloody hell babe. That is a real downer.

Easy to say but I've a feelin' he'd want you all to do a great job and pass everything with flying colours.

Actually he'd probably want to still be around but he can't so, get the class goin' and be the best year ever - for him?

loadsa hugs x

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

It is so weird at school. All the students are grieving while the teachers are continuing with the lesson plans like nothing ever happened. It is totally bizarre.
Then today we got this really lame letter on behalf of the college president. He couldn't even compose the damn letter himself. It wasn't even a full letter it was about three lines of crap.