Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Run Around

I am very upset today. I have a client that I use for all my major advertising assignments. So far, she has been an excellent client, she has always been helpful and on top of everything.
Well, this month I have a new and very stressful project for media planning. It is worth 50% of my mark and has over ten components. 7 of these 10 components are due on Thursday. I had asked my teacher if I could use research from an assignment last year, for the same client but I would do a check up with the client and make sure all my information is up to date. She said that it was fine especially since I was doing this project on my own.
I had called my client about two to three weeks ago asking if I could use her establishment again and would she be interested in completing a 12 question review sheet to make sure my information on her business was correct. She didn't respond so I waited a few days and called again. She said that she would love to help me out again and that it would not be a problem. Last Tuesday I dropped off the document for her and asked if I could pick it up on Friday, it was only one page, so I didn't think that she would need more time. She said Friday would be okay. Friday I came to her business expecting to pick up my sheet filled out or at least checked out so that I could go ahead with the project. She had forgotten the sheet at home, I asked if she could bring it the following day, which would be Saturday.
Saturday I went to pick up the document and she wasn't there.
Sunday, Spencer went to pick up the document and again no one was there.
Yesterday, I went to see if anyone was there. No one. I left a message apologising that I had missed her on Saturday and when a good time would be to pick up the document.
Finally, this morning, her receptionist phones me and leaves a message.
Apparently, my client had left the document outside on Saturday because she left early and knew that I would be picking it up. The receptionist apologised and said that now the sheet was misplaced. Here is the problem , this assignment is due on Thursday, I have old information and no new information to back up what I am writing in my assignment. I have no time to wait around for her to fill out new information.
I am extremely upset because a portion of my assignment is blowing around downtown somewhere with confidential information on it.
I don't know what to do.
Should I ask for an extension until next week?
Should I just continue with what I have and hope for the best?
Should I try to find a new client?
I think I am going to go talk to the program coordinator and ask his opinion. Ask him if I should start over or continue with what I have. Maybe I should ask for an extension until next week so I can meet with my client and get some of the new information she had previously provided.
I really don't know and I really don't have time for this.

6 comments:

Biddie said...

Explain the situtation to your teacher, She what he/she suggests. You may get an extention without even asking for one.
AND, do not use that client again!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I am so frustrated because it took me a long time to get the go ahead to do this assignment by myself and then now this situation.
I dont think I will use this client again because this has been three extrememly hectic weeks.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I just talked to the program coordinator. He helped me gather some information to finish the product. Thankfully, I had information from last year's project that we could pull up and use as well as make some assumptions on the business just to get the work done.
That is a BIG relief.

Michael Colvin said...

Good news that you got it sorted. Me, I woulda blagged it and made up the info that I needed.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Tell the programme coordinator what's happened. If they're halfway human they'll give you a break to sort it out was what I was goin' to say.

You did n they are. Good stuff.

Heidi the Hick said...

It's always better to explain and negotiate before the s**t hits the fan. This'll do you well later on in life too!