Sunday, January 14, 2007

Story Time with The Adult in Question

Story Time with The Adult in Question
is presented by The Adult in Question
and ripped off from Heidi the Hick.
I thought that we are all tired of listening to me whine and complain about school, so I thought that I would focus on something positive. I have decided to blog the story I wrote for my college portfolio. The teacher really loved and despite the fact that it is somewhat cheesy and that I absolutely hate the title, the rest of it is good. Please keep in mind that when I wrote this I had two classes, Literature Studies/Science Fiction (Yes, people I recieved a credit for watching movies such as Frankenstein, Star Wars and watching episodes of the X Files and Sci Factor) and Religion. Apparently both of these classes impressed upon this story. So please be kind and if you enjoy the first bit I will be tempted to give you the rest.
So here it is with its ridiculous title...


Rains of Existence
She sat there, entranced by the sound of the rain hitting the ground. The people moved so quickly, trying to escape the heavy droplets that threatened their dry exterior.
She thought about how people fought the rain- the rain such a natural force and even it could not be deterred. People flooded the streets of New York looking for a place to stay warm and dry. Those who had heard the news about the rain and were prepard for the tremendous downfall but those who were careless and used newspaper to hide from the increasing droplets but those who were not so fortunate began to hide under cafe balconies and enter stores they had no interest in other than being safe.
As she sat there watching people, the cafe where she was sitting had become full of people trying to wait out the rain. People were sharing tables with individuals whom they did not know but wanted the shelter. She was so fixated by the rain and the people that she had not noticed the elderly man who had come and sat at her table. The man watched her intently trying to see what she was focused on but could not figure out what was keeping her from noticing him.
"Excuse me ma'am, I hope I am not interrupting you." She refused to acknowledge his presence; the last thing she wanted was to make polite conversation with a stranger. She was not in the mood for the antics of an old man.
"My name is James Martin, what would yours be?"
She sighed heavily and replied with "Glynnis, my parents were kind of old fashioned, wanted me to have a good strong name, plus it was my great aunt's name."
"You know I once knew a Glynnis, she invented green jell-o"
"That's absolutely fascinating"she retorted sarcastically.
As this man rambled on about Glynnis and jell-o, she thought to herself, how on earth can I rid myself of this man. He was boring her half to death until he snapped.
"You know what your problem is miss? You youngsters have attitude problems and no respect for anyone. not even yourselves!"
She was outraged and insulted by this man. She wanted to tell him where to go but she knew that if she talked back to him he'd prove his point and he would have her engaged in whatever conversation he was leading up to. So, instead of fighting back she just agreed with this James character until he was finished his speech and would carry on then she would never have to see him again. It was a perfect plan until. . .

6 comments:

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Sorry, they are a few grammar/spelling/missing words/errors.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! Not fair! You can't keep me hanging. I need the rest.

Heidi the Hick said...

Okay, well you know we want to hear what happens next. She's basically screwed: if she retorts, she proves him right. If she lets him talk, she suffers through a boring unwelcome conversation.

So go ahead and fix up your grammar/ spelling/ errors and take pride in it!

By the way I don't think the title is cheesy. But maybe that's just me...

Anonymous said...

Until?

Until?

UNTIL!?!?!

DAMN YOU FOR STOPPING THERE!!! ;)

Steve~

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

YAY!!! people like my story!
I will write some more today. I promise.

Anonymous said...

Never mind Heidi, all the best authors get ripped off :) Yes we want to read more please!