Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Part Three: Rains of Existence

I know that it's not monday and I'm two days late but at least it's finally here.
When we left off Glynnis was asking James what the purpose of life was for human beings.

"Well, we are human beings. We live, we breathe, we show emotion, we feel pain, and we function outside a cold exterior. We are more than physical appearances; we are souls yearning to have purpose, yearning to have passion, yearning to love, yearning for all sorts of things outside of scientific research."
Glynnis had no response; no way to answer his question, all she could do was nod her head and let him know that he could continue speaking.
"You see Glynnis; I sat next to you because I knew that you were different than everyone else in this room. Everyone else was chattering and drinking coffee while you just sat there as if you were a destitute soul. I knew that you and I would get along once I was able to attract your attention in my direction, unfortunately it took me insulting you for you to respond."
Glynnis suddenly felt betrayed by this man, he had tricked her into conversation, and she had given him attention, suffered through his ranting. This is meaningless she thought to herself. This whole conversation was a meaningless waste of time.
"I know Glynnis that you are upset and hurt by my con but I had to speak to with you because I knew that you would understand my appreciation for life, that you would know that all this change is wrong not just morally but socially. You too, know that this is like a snake, waiting to go full circle and bite it's own tail. I know that we, I mean us two people cannot prevent the future but we can be conscious people unlike the rest of these people waiting to be turned into a machine, waiting to become scientific research."
Glynnis sat there sipping her coffee and trying to grasp what this man was telling her about human beings. It was unconcieveable to believe that this elderly man knew so much about today and the future. She thought what this man could offer if he were younger, what he could change before he was to complete his life cycle. "You know, I will never know what you are thinking or what you have thought in the last little while and I do not expect you to share your thoughts but please remember life is living not machining."
As she began to respond she noticed the rain had stopped. She peered out the window watching as the droplets slowly began to disappear, she turned back to where James was sitting and he too like the rain had disappeared. Glynnis could not decipher if this conversation was in her head or had it actually occurred. She sat at the table and thought about life as a natural process like the rain and realised how magnificent nature could truly be. Just then a waitress appeared "Would you like some more coffee?" She stated in her Brooklyn accent.
"Um, no, but thanks anyway." Glynnis told her. Glynnis moved away from the table and headed for the door and on her way out she threw her umbrella in the trash. Glynnis had made the choice that from now on she was going to experience the rain and all it had to offer.

5 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I have to go all Keanu/Neo on you here.

whoa.

Anonymous said...

I like the snake analogy

Anonymous said...

That was a very cinematic ending and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you. Are we going to get to read anymore of your stuff?

Anonymous said...

Bravo! I too would like to read more stories if you have them.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Thanks, I'm glad you guys enjoyed my story.
I don't think I have any more. I have a few crappy poems and an abundance of bad essays.
My grade 12 English teacher shot down all my work and rewrote it herself, then told me it was bad.
So, I didn't do a whole lot of writing after that.