Wednesday, March 17, 2010

FML what is wrong with my parents

Interesting conversation this evening. It goes a little something like this.
My mom, Shawn and I were discussing a particularily traumatic event I experienced as a child.
One day, while visiting my grandpa in the hospital, my mom and I became stuck in the room with my grandpa. As my mom and I were about to leave, my grandpa's room mate passed away. We sat there listening to the final moments of this man's life, his family at his bedside crying and praying for him. As my ten year old mind began to process what was going on, my face turned white and I became upset. My mom laughed. (this is the shortened version of what happened)
So my mom was telling this story to Shawn. And it was discussed that Shawn wanted to die in a hospital not at home. This began a quick conversation about the pros and cons of passing away at home versus at a hospital. Well, Shawn wants to pass away in the hospital because it would be easier for my mom in terms of an autopsy and such. My mom said that she wouldn't have an autopsy performed. And this is when Shawn had his Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys moment. He said and I quote "What if I want to donate my shit to science fiction?"
My mom and I laughed. Thus, began another conversation about donating organs and some minor bickering over the organ donation process. FML, what is wrong my parents? I can only begin to imagine what their senior years will be like.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

We talked about this with Gaby all the time. My position is "I'll be in the hospital, and the moment you see I'm about to trade the guitar for an harp, you douse me with kerosene and wait for it with a lit match"... that way we avoid visitation, cremation, etc. :-)

Plan B, if we cannot get away with that, involves of course cremation. In that case, I have already picked whipped cream. Oh, and a cherry, which my wife gets to pick where to place...

But I don't think that's the way it goes...

You see? Your parents are absolutely fine. Especially if you compare them against me...

Biddie said...

Thank you, Gabriel!!
KC needn't worry about our senior years - I plan on moving in with her!