Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Bombed...

Yesterday was D-Day. It was my day to recite the speech I had written about Heidi. I had rewritten it and I loved it. It was fabulous. It was all the things I wanted to say in a more organzied manner. I read that crumpled paper until I memorised the whole thing. I was confident I could do it. I was ready and willing. So when the prof called my name I stood up. I went to the podium. I began my speech. I was doing really well. The prof was enjoying it, then outta nowhere my mind goes blank. I can't remember a damn thing I wrote. Great. People are watching me, I'm stumbling over my words. Think. Think faster. C'mon, you're choking. Crap. I'm slowly sinking. What's a funny Heidi story? Still not coming up with anything. Ok, time to start lying, make some stuff up. Let's finish this. So I rush through the rest. I make something up on the spot and feel like crying. I totally messed this up. I tried to save it but I just couldn't pull it together on time. I gave my toast, slumped back to my seat and waited for the hand on the clock to hit two. I tried to forget what had happened after I wasn't the one who stood up there are cried. I held my own, sort of. I mean at least I finished. Well below the time limit I might add. But hey, speech three is due in two weeks.
At least Halloween was a blast.
I drank Vodka with pirates. [I think my treats may have been quite different from yours.] Took some crazy pictures and went home.
You can see the pictures on Life or Something Like It's blog.
Hope you all enjoyed your nite.

7 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh! Hey, at least you got halfway through it before you blanked out.

I know this doesn't help much but the more you do this, the easier it gets.

(what was the story you made up????)

dilling said...

tell me the story, too!!! I ALWAYS panicked in speeches in school...I never even made it halfway...um, um, um...yeah.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Well, I mainly started rambling about Heidi's writing and the stories she has started that I read. Something about the children's novel, then how publishers told her she needed an agent and she refused to get one. And how she is still agentless but one day I will be her agent/make up person. Oh God, it was just bad.

Anonymous said...

I HATE public speaking! Can't do it, won't do it! You have my sympathies.

Biddie said...

I'm sure that it wasn't as bad as you imagined....At least you got up there and did it!

dilling said...

um, um, like, ya know, um... it was probably fine... honestly... really, though, agent AND make up person? Woot.

Heidi the Hick said...

I'm sorry, I hate to disappoint you...I started querying agents. LITERARY agents. You can still do my make up!!!!