Thursday, November 09, 2006

Some Days

Some days I love my job. Other days I hate it. Today I am undecided.
I don't want to be a lifer at my job because lets face it, it's a minimum wage, hell hole with a few perks. Those perks would be the people I work with, I absolutely love them. I really do and my managers love me...they let me get away with almost anything and I have no idea why. The things I cam get away with no one else can...its great. I get along with all the managers except one and she knows who she is and she knows why.
But anyways, today I was dragging my feet because I didn't want to go into work, I didn't want to deal with people, I just couldn't be bothered to do the whole work thing. But I went, I marched through the doors and got ready to wear my green polyester sweater ( I don't care if green is my color, nobody looks good in polyester - cruel and very unusual). Here's the thing, I know once I get to work, that I will have a good time because there is always someone that I get along with.
So I went, slid my badge through the punch clock and got ready to do stuff but to my surprise someone in office trusts me enough to train another cashier. But here's where it gets interesting, she barely speaks English. Fun...I know.
So I introduced myself, asked her what she had already been taught and if she knew her operator number. so, this was going well because she sorta knew what she was doing. And I kept reminding myself of the difficulty I had when I first started. But this girl was soooo slooooowwww. Slower than slow. And she couldn't remember the code for bananas which is the first code they teach you and almost every customer comes through with bananas. So you would think after four hours she would know the code. But nope. So I let it slide because I remember how stressed I was the first few days. Finally the Thursday nite crowd died down and she wanted to know if she could buy food because she was hungry...well the answer would be you have to wait until your break. But this is one more thing she did not understand.
So there we were sitting at our til when a boy came by and started reading magazines. Well this ticked her off....and she told the boy "You can't read that unless you buy it. Are you going to buy it? Do you have money?" The boy just looked at her dumbfounded and startled. And with tears in his eyes he put the magazine back.
I didn't know if I should laugh, cry, tell her that she can't say those things to customers...so I did what I do best...ignore it.
Thankfully, it was time for our break, where she then asked if she could take a magazine up to the break room, read it and put it back. You can guess the answer to that one.
During my break I wanted to avoid her but couldn't because I would have felt guilty about leaving her alone. So I went to the back, talked to my boys in grocery and went upstairs to the room that consists of breaks. Or so its called.
I couldn't wait for her part of the shift to end, because to be honest I don't think she understands what she is doing...at all. And of course they scheduled her for a Saturday...the busiest day of the week. All I have to say is good luck and try not to get fired.
So this was my day at work... but at least I made it there. And I still don't know if I hate or love my job but at least I went and I know for damn sure that I won't be a lifer.

6 comments:

ldbug said...

Ugh, I hate training people who just-don't-get-it!

Biddie said...

The answer would be...do you have money? You can't read it unless you buy it...Are you going to buy it?
Sometimes, I hate people. She probably pinches babies and trips blind people, too. Ass-hat.

dilling said...

if you were a lifer, you wouldn't be in college now, would ya?

Anonymous said...

I suck at training people. I have all the knowledge in my head but I can't get it out through my mouth. Not in any kind of logical order anyway.

You do know that banana code is gonna be stuck in your head for life dontcha? Mwuhahaha!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

The banana code will always be in my mind..along with all the other codes. It wiil be there forever, now if I could only remember what I did last week.

captain corky said...

You should have told your co-worker that the 1950's were over and that people are allowed to browse in a store. She sounds like a real twit.