Monday, March 26, 2007

Rules of the Grocery Store

Recently, I have been fed up with customers demanding what they want, when they want, how they want. This is very frustrating. I understand that yes as customers, you are entitled to certain services and products. You are entitled to these things in a reasonable amount of time but you cannot demand that your cashier drop everything to serve you and your needs after you have the left the store. You cannot pack up your groceries, stand behind me at my till and tap your foot while huffing and puffing that I cannot meet your needs at the moment. This pisses me off more than anything because everyone knows that Saturdays are the busiest at this particular store. I have decided to write a list of Grocery store Rules and if you cannot abide by them you are not allowed to come through my register. That's right, I will refuse to serve you.
So here it is my list of rules:
  1. If you need to return an item that you do not want, you need to give it to the cashier. You cannot hide it in the baskets, you cannot stuff it in the magazine rack and you cannot kick it under the magazine rack to hide it.
  2. If you need a carry out, tell the cashier before he/she starts ringing in your order because it may take a few minutes for the grocery clerk to come to the front of the store. I know that it may look like we're not doing something but most times we are.
  3. Meat products need to be returned to the meat department, the same with dairy. You cannot leave it in a cart and hope for the best.
  4. You cannot leave your empty carts in front of the register and assume that someone will put it away for you. You took it out, you put it back. You know why it must be put away? Because customers behind you can't get through and put their groceries on the til until I go and put your cart away. Then the customer behind you bitches and I have to sit there and listen to it until they too leave the store. Thanks Asshats.
  5. Lastly, if I am with another customer, you can not come and make demands about services that you want because you forgot to ask for them when I was putting your order through. If your forgot to ask for ice, softener salt, carry out etc. you must wait until I am done with the current customer and then I will put your purchase through.

It's just common courtesy, most of these things. You should try it sometime.

8 comments:

Biddie said...

Can I play? My fav when I was owrking at Zehrs...People would actually ask me to estimate how much the amount of groceries in their cart was worth.
WHAT?! Are you freaking kidding me? Do what everyone else does and keep track of what you're spending. Seriously.
I had a customer yell at me when I guessed at the amount of crap in her cart and was off by $50.
WHAT?! $50 effing bucks off of a $300 + bill? Are you kidding me? I should've been given a tip.
here's another tip. If you know that you have, oh say, $150, don't watch quietly while I ring in $300 worth of food and then say....Ummm, I only have $150. How do you think that all of that merchandise gets back on the shelf? If I ring it in, I have to take it OFF of your bill, item by item. Sound like fun?
Then you do it.
And yes, these ARE my real eyes. If they were FAKE, I would be blind, thus making me the most amazing cashier in the history of the world.
Just saying.

Biddie said...

By the way, weren't you supposed to be doing homework?

captain corky said...

Number 5 on your list is the worst. Nothing is more annoying when a person can't wait there fucking turn. Isn't that covered in Kindergarten?

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey KC does anybody tell you that you have pretty eyes?

See, after reading this list, it's no wonder I hate shopping.

Are you serious Bid, somebody wanted you to guess how much the stuff in their cart would cost? I woulda shrugged and said, "Heck I dunno, a million dollars?"

Biddie said...

Heidi, people asked on average..2 times a week. For real. Asshats.

dilling said...

it all sounds perfectly reasonable to me...i would come through your line...
Now, why do I have to BUY the bags again?

The Fashion Diva said...

The first part of the post where you mentioned someone wanting you to drop everything for them sounds much like the men I work with in my office. Bloody asshats can't seem to think ahead at all or do the simplest things without someone holding their hand.

As for your rules...I like them. I've never worked in a grocery (only the grocery broker biz), however, many of the things you mentioned piss me off as a customer.

ldbug said...

Oh, I was at the store the other day and this guy who was stocking some items acidentally bumped into a man who was shopping. It was a total accident and really justa little bump, but the shopping guy started yelling at the worker saying "I'm the customer, you're the worker" as if that meant that the guy can't accidentally bump people while trying to shelve a million items. I'm sure it didn't help, but I gave the guy a sympathetic look and shot the shopping guy with a dirty one.