Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Love - Hate Relationship with PODGE.




Podge- what a great invention. Glue like substance that is thin enough to glaze photos but strong enough to hold the photo in place. I love podge but hate it at the same time. Podge is an addicting little craft. Hickchic and I spent a couple days in the summer podging scrapbooks for my sisters. We made a Johnny Depp book and a celebrity book. My sis KK loves Johnny.

Anyways, I decided to make the downstairs bathroom into a theme room. It's kind of a 50's theme but mainly Elvis. I love podge because it's so permanent, so easy to use and addicting. I love podge because it sticks to anything. Hickchic once told me that she was watching a TV show where a woman podged EVERYTHING including her kitchen furniture! She took podging to a whole new level. So, I thought that I would podge the shelves in my bathroom. I thought it would be so cool to have an Elvis shelf. C'mon, do you know anyone else with an Elvis shelf or bathroom huh?
Moving on, the reasons why I hate podge are:
  • - when you brush the podge on, the pictures sometimes move, creating wrinkles in the photos
  • - the podge is sticky. I hate sticky stuff. When I was little sticky hands used to make me cry. Now it just makes me whine.
  • - the paint brushes you use for podge are hard to clean. After taking a semester of art, I still can't clean a paint brush properly.

My bathroom shelves are half finished because podging has done nothing except piss me off. I tried to podge a deck of Elvis playing cards on the shelf and it didn't work. The cards wrinkled and made a big mess. A complete waste of time. Now, I'm back to square one. Well, at least now I have a printer for my computer, so I can print off Elvis pictures via the internet.

Top Picture: My can of podge. Costs roughly $5.98 (Wal- Mart, that's why it's only 0.98 cents, not 0.99 or an even $1.00)

Bottom Picture: My shelf. Half finished. Aside from podge frustrating me, I get side tracked very easily.

Sorry, I know the pictures are sideways. I can't figure out how to rotate them.

I'll keep you posted on how the bathroom turns out, that's IF I ever finish the bathroom. Well, if I never finish the bathroom at least the Elvis curtain will be done. I did that first.

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

ah Podge. It's the only craft I can love. The only tool needed is a brush. Minimal cleanup time. Almost zero brainpower needed. And NO instructions!!!

but it makes me want to SCREAM when the pictures curl up.

Y'know, it's almost podge season again....!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh and i just had a memory of you crying because your hands were dirty. No care at all that they were all scraped up too; no care about the scrapes. Dirt! Wah!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Yeah. I hate when my hands are dirty. It's not so bad now but still it's yucky.

I agree, podge season is a-comin'and this year it's going to be brutal.