Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why I love the 80's

Well, this is a topic that I have been meaning to write about for a long time. I've wanted to write about the 80's and my love for the decade so long that it's been driving me nuts. I love the 80's so much that I have a t-shirt that says "I Love the 80's" because I want everyone to know about this. Anyways, maybe a bulleted list would be the best way to describe my love for the 80's, otherwise it would be way to long.




  • I was born in the 80's, okay late 80's but aside from the point

Madonna was still cool, she was not a lame soccer mom

Billy Idol was in his prime...enough said Check out that underwear.

  • The music was way cooler than it is now, no one was singing about political issues, women were not b*tches and wh*res, no one was rapping about killing each other
  • Vince Neil from Motley Crue wasn't fat. 80's Vince vs. this Vince?
  • Motley Crue , Guns 'n' Roses,

Aerosmith were cool and I know this for a fact because now when I tell my friends that this is what I listen to, they look at me funny.

David Lee Roth was a part of Van Halen, not singing about being a gigalo

  • You could wear some pretty cool stuff..thankfully it's coming back in so now I can wear it too without getting beat up...the leggings, the earrings, more than enough hairspary to start more than one small fire

C.C. Deville wasn't known simply as a wash up or being charged for drug possession

****An aside on why I admire C.C. Deville. If anybody watches the Surreal life or saw an episode of the Surreal Life Season 6 then you would know that C.C. was one of the roomates this season. The first episode of the Surreal Life showed the housemates arriving and C.C. had just arrived from Rehab for alcohol and drug use. The day he arrived at the house, he had been out of rehab for about an hour or two. The seasons of the Surreal Life usually have an abundance of alcohol and this season was no different. The whole time (approx 2 weeks) everyone except Steve Harwell (who had also been in rehab a few months prior to the show) drank and celebrated different events with large capacities of alcohol and C.C. did not once have a drink or attempt to drink anything alcohol related. I thought that was an amazing act of courage on his behalf after living the rock star lifestyle for many years. ****

  • It was the "Me Generation" it was all about me, me, me
  • Legendary parties...Fight for your Right...to PAAARRTYYY!
  • You thought anything was possible. People were not nearly as jaded as they are now
  • Jethro had a way cool shag...not to be confused with a mullet but doesn't a mullet make a man? * to find out who Jethro is check out www.hickchic.blogspot.com
  • MTV still had music, there were no stupid shows like "8th and Ocean"
  • You could wear two different earrings and no one thought you were "weird"
  • The one hit wonders were way cooler than they are now...

Devo vs. William Hung or Adam Ant vs. Paris Hilton? (I'm hoping that Paris Hilton will be a one hit wonder otherwise "The Gods are crazy)

  • Neon and spandex was big. I'm not condoning the use of spandex now but if you've got the legs...
  • Frankie says "Relax" vs. Paris Hilton says "That's Hot"
  • Hmm most of my favourite songs are from the 80's. For example, J. Geils Band "Centrefold", Beastie Boys "Fight for your right", Poison "Talk dirty to me", Technotronic "Pump up the jam", Salt'n' Peppa and Spinderella "Push it", Billy Idol- anything by him except White Wedding,

Whitesnake minus Tawny Kitaen"Here I go again"

Madonna "Like a prayer",

Run DMC "Tricky" "Walk this way"these are just some

  • TV watchin' was good- The Cosbys, 21 Jump Street (the first season has Johnny Depp), Alf
  • Movie goin' was good - The Ghostbusters, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, The Little Mermaid
  • People knew who Molly Ringwald was

Haha! I have a hat similar to that one except mine has a rhinestone heart on the side.

These are just some of the reasons I love the 80's but I think I'm mostly a product of my environment because my parents love the 80's and why shouldn't they it was their time to shine. Thankfully, the 80's fashions are coming back so that I'll be able to have my chance to shine in an 80's sort of flashback sort of way. (Actually, it freaks my mom out when I dress in 80's style because it reminds her of herself). Maybe (at a later date) I'll post a couple pictures of me in 80's fashion and we can all have a good laugh. I'm sure my mom has some 80's stuff kickin' around.

4 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

get some pointy shoes with zippers on them!!!!!

I love the 80's because I survived, and lived to tell!!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

No, i think i'll leave the pointy shoes with zippers on them up to you and my mom. That's one style i can live without. But, i do have the round flats.

Biddie said...

you forgot the original Degrassi,the A-Team,The Lost Boys, and hey, don't dismiss pointy shoes with zippers until you have a pair!!1

Heidi the Hick said...

(slap forehead) the Lost Boys! How could that be forgotten????

It appears that CC Deville has pink hair in that photo. I have a new respect for that man...