Wednesday, August 30, 2006

At this time last year, I was jumping around like an idiot, waiting for the moment when Heidi and I would be rocking out to Billy Idol. Let's start from the beginning...
It was July and I saw an ad for Billy Idol and from that moment I was determined to see this man in concert. So like the raving loon that I am I approached my mom and begged her to go, even though it wasn't really necessary. She wasn't able to go with so I approached the next best person...enter Heidi.
The telephone conversation consisted of ...
Me: OMG! Billy Idol is playing in T.O. and we have to go. I'm going to buy the tickets okay? It's August 30th...
I don't remember the rest of the conversation but who cares? We were going to see Billy Idol play with Steve Stevens.
So I bought the tickets...saved for a few weeks to get them and I was determined to get good seats. Which to my surprsie we actually got semi decent seats.
The big night arrived and this guy behind us kept telling us to sit down because he wanted to video tape the concert...chump.
Then after weeks of me saying "Im going to meet Billy Idol" and many other ramblings, a rep for Molson Ampitheatre asked if we would like to go down to the pit and my reply was "YES!!!!" So there we were right smack dab in front of a 50 year old man rithing around in leather pants like there was no tomorrow. And we loved every second of it ... until David Lee Roth and Girl blocked us from the enjoyable view. Well Heidi calls him something Hubbard or other from Spinal Tap, but you get the point. He was a million feet tall and preventing us from seeing the band. The rest of the people there were as Jethro predicted...lawyers, soccer moms and so on. But we didn't care, we saw Billy Idol and loved every freakin second of it. Of course they confiscated our camera on the way in but we have now devised a plan to get cameras into places they shouldn't be .... right? Remember that little trick I can do? So after three hours of wrecking our ears and fist pumping we raced to the Swag Shop and bought some much needed t-shirts. Then on the way back we squealed like little girls and laughed all the way home.

Heidi says I have such good luck at concerts and that it has ruined me. So, this is what I was doing on this day last year .... "Oh, what am I doing today? Working..." I accepted a call in, and now I'm kicking myself because I was supposed to go to the college bookstore but that's a whole other issue I am avoiding. But today is Billy Idol day(and from what I hear the blackboard still says that).

4 comments:

dilling said...

I sat across the aisle from Billy Idol(and Charlie Sexton, not that many people know him) at a David Bowie concert...he was still in a giant cast from his motorcycle accident... he and Charlie signed my concert sheet... did you ever look up the link to my friend's site, Vital Idol? He does an absolutely uncanny impersonation for a rock tribute band. I think I left the link on another post of yours about Billy.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Yep, I did go to use the link but at the time my internet wasn't working so I couldn't finish checking it out. Maybe, I'll try again after work today.

Heidi the Hick said...

I remember Charlie Sexton!!!!

KC, that concert was a blast. And I do think you're ruined, your concerts have been too good! But it's an okay thing to be ruined about...

You know, I look back and can't believe I drove down there, and drove to the studio. I had such a wicked chest pain but I never said anything. Didn't want to admit it! Although I do know for a fact taht screaming and dancing cures a chest pain very efficiently!!!!!

Every day is Billy Idol day!!!

dilling said...

Just a little aside here, as it doesn't appear on the web site, my friend does the sweetest(?eek?) version of "White Wedding" with his six year old daughter...I know it sounds kinda creepy but, really, honestly, it is the sweetest thing...I swear it...it is the best little show.