Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Hurricane Katrina





Usually I don't bitch about serious stuff because I'm 18 and convinced that the world revolves around me. But today my issue of People Magazine arrived and I read an article titled "Who's Dog is it Anyways?" It was about victims of Hurricane Katrina whose pets were displaced because of the hurricane and now they are struggling to find them again. I was so heartbroken when I read this because these people lost everything and now they can't even get their pets back.
I read how one man had no choice but to leave his two dogs behind because there were no shelters that would take him. When he returned to his home he saw the muddy dog paw prints and prayed that they swam to safety. He later found out that his dogs had been picked up by a Humane Society and given up for adoption. He was devasted ...his dog Max was a present from his brother and now he can't get his dog back. The person that adopted his dog say that the dog was abandoned. The original owner is taking the new owners to court for custody of hsi dog now being called Joey. There are many other dogs that were given up for adoption illegally. A family placed their two dogs in a shelter and the shelter claimed that they would keep the dogs safe for six months. After three months the shelter was closed all the dogs were given up for adoption. None of the families were informed of the shelter closing. And their dogs were adopted by families who claim "the dogs were abandoned and not taken care of..."
Now, after losing everything the families just want their pets back and these greedy sonsabitches won't return them. I hope these people who claim to have "rescued" pets feel guilty. I hope they can't sleep at night and they realise that there are little kids, elderly and families missing their pets.
Here are some examples of people desperately trying to get their pets back...
Lil Bit - Lisa Down's young son asks every day when the shih tzu is coming home. A woman in Illinois won't give her back.
Tricksy - Thomas Exnicious III, 23, is taking the Animal Compassion Network to court to get back his Chihuahua from a North Carolina woman.
Bandit - Malvin Cavalier, 86, is working with a lawyer to get back his beloved poodle from a Pennsylvania woman.
Missy - Army First Lt. Jay Johnson, 27, who was in Iraq during Katrina filed a lawsuit against the SPCA of Texas to get his Shih tzu back.
Precious - Linda Charles, 41, filed suit against the Humane Society of North Texas which adopted out her German Shepard.
I can't believe that people would be so greedy, and inconsiderate. These people lost their homes, family members and everything else, why can't they have their pets back?
People left their homes, does that mean that because we found them we can have them? They are victims of a tragedy and they can't even have their pets back? They are trying to rebuild their community and their lives and I think if we can't help them financially we could at least give them their pets.
I can't imagine someone taking my pets ... and refusing to return them. These people who adopted these pets because they were "abandoned" are selfish and have no consideration for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I think after this article there will be an outcry from the individuals who feel the same as I do. I hope that the victims can have their pets returned and continue to rebuild what was lost.

15 comments:

Biddie said...

I read the same article and was revolted by what I read. Surviving a hurricane is not the same as abandoning your pet. I can't imagine an 86 year old man having to fight in court to get his dog back. Or a 4 year old crying every night for his doggy. These people need to return these dogs to their rightful owners. I can't imagine how you sleep at night with a stolen dog at your feet.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I can't believe that people would actually keep someone else's pet(s). It's disgusting, these people who have already lost enough don't need any more stress. This event should have brought the human race closer together and all it's done is continue to tear us apart.

Friends of Bandit & Malvin said...

From the Friends of Bandit and Malvin (who were referenced in one of the thumbnails in the Aug.21 edition of People), thank you so much for your moral support. These are very difficult times for Mr. Cavalier and all of the other people who just want their pets back.

Please check in on the blog we've created to outline what happened and is happening with Bandit and Malvin. It's a general chronology of events that we're building. Hopefully one day soon it will culminate with a good news announcement. Wouldn't that be nice.

Please pray that common sense prevails and the people who have Bandit, and all the other missed pets, have a change of heart and give them back. The grief is enormous. And the question keeps arising: Why.

Thanks again.

http://www.banditandmalvin.blogspot.com

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I can't believe that friends of Bandit found my blog! I was just ranting but I really do care and hope that the pets can be returned to their rightful owners a.s.a.p.

dilling said...

When human emotions get in the mix, sometimes it's awful hard to do the right thing...I have this dog for the summer, and it will mighty difficult to give him up...only one reason being that I really believe he is better off with me... I BELIEVE it. Even though I know they love their dog very much, I also know that I can take better care of him ...so, you see, these other people have intense love and emotion for their pets, that they believe they rescued...it's a difficult, heartbreaking situation. I wouldn't want to be on either side of it, really.

Friends of Bandit & Malvin said...

The problem is that people make all sorts of assumptions about whether an animal is "better off" with them or with their original owners, assumptions that are sometimes based on imagination and fantasy, not fact. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

In Bandit's case, whoever has Bandit has not once spoken to Mr. Cavalier, and knows next to nothing about their life together.

We have heard statements made to the effect that "whatever is in the best interest of the animal should be taken into account." What, precisely, does that mean, coming from individuals who had never bothered to find out about Bandit and Malvin before Katrina? Who refuse to speak to him?

Upon what factual bases are they basing their judgments of whether Bandit is or is not "better off" where he is now? That Bandit was stranded, against Mr. Cavalier's wishes, in the face of the worst natural disaster in North American history? That Bandit had a skin rash? Or that this dog in his teens had bad teeth?

Is that sufficient grounds upon which to summarily and permanently rend and shatter the deep heart bond between these two old friends? That is so unacceptable. People should not be treated that way, and neither should animals.

And, frankly, Mr. Cavalier has no idea whether Bandit is "better off" now. For all we know, Bandit could be living out of the back of a car somewhere, or tied under a trailer.

We do know that there is a very kind and very decent gentleman in New Orleans who is pining daily for his dog, who literally cries for him, and who would be with him 24/7 (except for trips to the store etc.) if those people who took him would just finally understand that giving him back is the best thing to do for Bandit and Malvin. Close the circle please. Give Bandit back to Malvin.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

The pets need to be returned to their original owners it is in the best interest of everyone. If the pets were being abused or abandoned before this disaster the SPCA would have been involved. I wish there was more that I could to do to help.
All the people who adopted the pets knew and willingly signed an agreement stating that if the original owner(s) return and wish to have their pets back may do so. I know that it is hard to return an animal once you have taken care of it and made it a member of your family but it is the right thing to do.

dilling said...

Please do not interpret what I say...I said I would not want to be on either side of that argument, pain and suffering on ALL sides...and this(a third person's blog) is not the correct forum.
Sorry, Random, this is my last entry about this...I was a little reticent to say anything and I guess I should have stuck with my gut. I just didn't want you to think I wasn't reading!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

It's ok...I'm just glad that people are reading and that they know what is going on in the United States. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this will be one ugly battle.Hopefully in the end, the right thing will be done whatever that may be.

Biddie said...

My understanding is that the adoptive families signed documents stating that if the rightful owners of the pets in question cameforth,then the animals would be returned to them. I don't understand what the problem is. Return the dogs. If the pets are being abused by ANY person, the SPCA should investigate.
I myself own 2 dogs,among other pets. I can not imagine not knowing how my puppies are, where they are, or if they are happy and well cared for. This whole thing breaks my heart.Bandit and the others should go home.

Heidi the Hick said...

You know what I think? I think that there is a TRAGIC LACK OF COMMUNICATION here. I'm not sure who's fault it is. But people aren't in contact with each other and that could be why the adoptive people aren't aware of the real owners who want their pets back.

Anybody who ended up with a dog who looked like he'd been through a hurricane would feel sorry for the dog and want to take care of him. But obviously surviving a hurricane will take its toll on anybody.

I know what Dilling is going through. I have a borrowed horse. It's gonna kill me to give her back. But she's not for sale. I too think she really likes it under our care but it doesn't matter. Her owner emailed me that she really notices the mare's absence at their place. She's not my horse.

but you know what? If any dog or cat of horse of mine went missing I would cry every day until we were together again.

Good blog, KC. It's good to bring attention to this.

Friends of Bandit & Malvin said...

Heidi may have been right!

The people who had Bandit have come forth and returned him a few days ago, claiming they were not provided with all of the facts. As soon as they understood how much Mr. Cavalier wanted his dog back, they were swift to return him, bless their hearts. This is wonderful!

He is now temporarily with a trusted friend in Maryland awaiting return to New Orleans in the not-too-distant future. We'll be there with Mr. Cavalier to take pictures of the two of them together again and will hopefully be posting them at the blog.

Yippee!!! Bandit is going home to Malvin! And it sounds like Mr. C. is prepared to let bygones be bygones and continue to stay in touch and let them know how Bandit is doing.

Just goes to show that there are still people in the world who will do the right thing, if they are provided with the opportunity to make their own decision.

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog and appreciate your calling attention to the plight of these owners. It is heartbreaking that after having gone through so much, they now must fight to get back what is theirs.
The lack of communication is not the fault of the owners. They would like to speak with the adopters, but the shelters won't say who the adopters are OR relay messages to the adopters (from the families)
Also - wanted to update you - Bandit is HOME! Yay
Another thing - please check out www.preciousandmissy.com
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Sterling silver chandelier earring component Discount tire naperville bentley motors crewe Shaved pussy ft wayne indiana pics of dierks bentley and country singers bentley arnage speakers Ford galaxie 500 1963 bentley continental gt drive shaft Beats em all car wax Hotel san regis paris Free merchant accounts gateway fees Anderson lift chairs tampa dircks bentley country singer http://www.interior-design-5.info/dirksbentleyslowdown.html bentley dealerships

Anonymous said...

What a great site http://www.california-culinary-school.info Salmon fishing pacific drift Life infrared sauna dildo http://www.pop-up-blocker-9.info