Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Lotus Grows in the Mud

I have been reading Goldie Hawn's book "A Lotus Grows in the Mud" and it has been an interesting read to say the least.
For the most part I am enjoying the book and it is not what I expected it to be. I was hoping for some stupid celebrity wisdom but she has none of that. Yes people, she is inspiring us with real life wisdom, little pearls of information to help create better people.
She has not used her celebrity power to bring attention to her good deeds, she just does them quietly like a normal human being. Her deeds aren't making the pages of People Magazine like the freakish Tom Cruise.
And she is nuts in a good, fun way... she shares some embarrassing moments with us and as I read her book it's like I can hear her reciting the words as they come across the page. Or maybe that's because I saw her reading an excerpt from her book on the Ellen Degeneres Show. I don't know.
She shares her adventures with us, she has been to some amazing places...places that most of us will only ever dream of...These places include Jerusalem, New Dehli, Spain, Italy...She raised her kids on a beach in Spain for a summer with very little modern technology. I only dream of living on the beach, something I probably will never accomplish but hey it's a nice dream...
Her life, her career has taken her all over the world. This book is an honest look at her life, the struggles she's overcome and all the difficulties life can throw you even when you think everything is great.
There were a few parts in the book where you wanted to stop reading but you couldn't because it kept pulling you back...I'm warning you she talks about being molested, raped and attacked all before she is thirty years old.
She always ends the chapters with a lesson, or a piece of wisdom which can feel rather preachy at times but you realise that she wants to her share her experiences with you, and not hold anything back.
So, if you are looking for the secrets of a celebrity life style you are not going to find that in here.

10 comments:

Biddie said...

Can't wait to read that one. I'm so happy that you keep buying books and bringing them home! 'Course with COLLEGE starting soon,you won't have much time for reading....

dilling said...

are you kidding?!? That's all there will be time for...cuz that's all I ever did in college...read, homework, go to class, beer bong...what? Where did that come from?
I love Goldie, as big as she was, she was never "hollywood," and I adore the stars with relationships with staying power. She and whatsisname keep a home in Vancouver so that their son, who loves (and is super good at) hockey can go to a school that promotes his love of the sport...and I adored her on Laugh-In. Though you are much too young for that...

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Yeah I think it is so cool that her and Kurt have been together since the early 80's...that's awmazing for a Hollywood relationship.

Heidi the Hick said...

I loved Laugh In. (Although I'm technically not old enough for it either. Re-runs, baby!)

Good review!

Heidi the Hick said...

How the heck did you get a photo in your profile? My computer won't let me...either because the file is too big whatever that means or because I'm an idiot???

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I photoshopped it...and then i posted it to my blog. After I posted it to my blog, I clicked on it so that it enlarged. After I copied the URL into the part of my profile that says photo URL and bam! My photo was on my profile...if you send me your pic and yout info I could probably do it for you.

Big Ben said...

When does she get to her hot daughter?

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Ben- she gets to her hot daughter in one of the last chapters and talks about her for all of three pages...unless you count her discussing Kate growing up but even then it's not much...lol

Heidi the Hick said...

You
are
so smart!!!!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I do what I can...lol