Friday, July 14, 2006

Finney

Finney is the name of my guinea pig. It comes from rearranging the letters in the word(s) guinea pig. Phinney Gig, but we changed it to Finney. I got Finney two and half years ago before I went into grade eleven. He was originally given the name Pumpkin Baby because it's the nick name my ex No. 1 gave me, but it just didn't stick. He was not a Pumpkin, and not really a baby anymore because he was 6- 7 months old.
When I brought him home from the pet store our dog Poodle would not let my other dog Porkchop any where near him and I still think Porkchop doesn't know he ever existed. I bought him a neon orange collar because I wanted him to look classy but mostly it just pissed him off. He was not a little clothes wearing pig at all, but he would let you carry him around in a bag - Paris Hilton Style. Finney was a card, he had quite the attitude and he was a mouthy bugger. If he heard you cutting vegetables he would squeal like his head was on fire. He would escape from his house and run all over ours and when we let him live with the bunnies he did dirty things to them. It made me laugh, but not my mom or sisters. He used to live in a Rubbermaid tote in the kitchen, but when we moved, he moved upstairs to the second floor of the house with my sisters and I. He would have been three on August 23.
I've never really been one to cry when a pet dies because it one of those things I expect. But today was a little different. My guinea pig died when I was grocery shopping with my mom today. I knew it was coming because last Sunday I noticed that he wasn't eating or drinking. I thought maybe it was the heat or he was sick of eating pellets because he usually gets a lot of fresh veggies. So I gave him some veggies and nothing, not a bite, didn't even touch it.
After doing some research I discovered that guinea pigs can get scurrvy from a lack of Vitamin C. He had all the symptoms of guinea pig scuurvy. Who knew? I certainly didn't, and now that I am informed it's way too late. I feel guilty because I should have done the research before buying a guinea pig, and then I could have prevented guinea pig scuurvy from invading my house and beating the snot out of my guinea pig for the last five days.
So Finney was buried in a C Plus pop box with a blanket in the backyard next to my Dad's Morning Glories. He doesn't care that he has dead guinea pig in his garden because he loved that little piggy too. My mom says that I can have another guinea pig if I get rid of some bunnies. Anybody want bunnnies? I really want another guinea pig not to replace Finney but because they are funny pets and I highly recommend them as much as bunnies?

4 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh sweetie I am so sorry to hear that. I don't care how small a pet is, he's still special.

I hope this doesn't sound rude but...your guinea pig died of a pirate disease. I mean, y'know...at least he went down a rebel.

( I don't want any bunnies. My cat wouldn't like it much.)

dilling said...

I love the little squealy noises of guinea pigs... they are pretty precious. I hope you have another soon. I am still holding out for another beagle(no matter what Michael really thinks) so I REALLY don't think a bunny would be a good idea here...being as they are bred to hunt bunnies...plus the shipping might be a bit over the top. Do you have any petting zoos close by?

The Fashion Diva said...

I'm sorry about the loss of Finny. I agree with Heidi - small or large all pets are special. Oh and I admit, I cry when any of them die.

I'd love to have a bunny, however, we live in a townhome and have already reached our maximum of two furbabies. Besides, seeing as our "children" are cats, something tells me there could be issues if we brought a bunny in. Well, Shadow (aka Squeaker/Little Guy) would probably love up to the bunny but Kippie (aka Pitsy/Bitchy Momma) would see a rabbit as lunch. YIKES!

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»