Monday, July 03, 2006

The Job Search Continues...Unsuccessfully

My searching skills are a apparently lacking because I am still jobless. Since I finished school I have applied at 5 places, posted my resume on a job board and called a temp agency. I have an appointment with the Temp Agency tomorrow and plan to go to Lutherwood.

Lutherwood is an organization run by the government that helps people find jobs, they give you a "Job Counselor" and all sorts of crap like that. Apparently this job counselor helps you create a really good resume and find a job. Supposedly this counselors are so good that they can find you a job the same day or the next day. I hope all of this is true because I need a job as quick as possible. If these counselors don't live up to their reputation, I'll be pretty upset.

I feel like screaming from the roof top "Give me a shitty job. I really want one." It's like all these useless, uneducated people can get jobs but I can't. Seriously, this girl I know got a job at my volunteer placement which wouldn't bug me if I hadn't been volunteering there for more than three months, and if she could spell and say the name of the place right. Let me just tell you the name of the place is not Madeocraft. I don't know what Madeocraft is...I'm assuming it's an abbreviation for "I made a craft." but I'm unsure yet. Or maybe "Madeocraft" is a machine that pumps out crafts or craft supplies. Either way it pisses me off that I work my butt off for free and no one offers me a job knowing full well that I don't have one.

I'm convinced that getting a job is all based on who you know and where they work. For example if I knew someone who worked at a restaurant, my chances of getting a job there would be much higher than if I applied at a restaurant where I knew no one. It's all about who you know, where they work and if they put in a good word for you. By the way what the hell does "put in a good word" mean? Don't they have to put in more than one word and where are they putting these words? Unless they mean "I'll use my big mouth to say somethin' nice about you to the boss so you can get a job here." Yep, I think that's what they mean. Stupid Big Mouths. Shut Up and give losers such as myself a chance at employment.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't be buggin' the big mouths considering the fact that mine is pretty BIG. But, I wish someone would use their big mouth to get me a job. Actually,I wish my mouth was bigger because then I wouldn't get so nervous when I'm trying to hand in a resume or fill out an application. I get so worked up because I tell myself "This could be it. You could get this job. Think, think about what Mrs. W taught you in career studies. Wait, I didn't pay attention in that class, I never thought I'd need it. Damn, Luau why did we have to make comic strips about Mrs. W being the bad lady that she is." These are the types of things that go through my mind as I'm speaking with supervisors, managers etc.

But today, I actually did pretty well.
I said "Hello. Do you have any openings in the kitchen? "
Then the supervisor said "No."
I said "Well, I have my resume here, would you please call me when something does open up."
Then the supervisor said "Okay."
And I said "Thank you very much."
I said all that with stuttering or being fidgety. I think it was a big achievement. Go Me. God, I am a jobless fool. Maybe I can have a career like Paris Hilton. Famous because my parents are rich therefore I'm rich and I never have to work but just in case I"ll put out an album with a catchy little song that would be better performed by Blondie. I always have a back up plan, because I am so smart.

I think my intelligence is holding me back because everywhere I go, the most useless examples of human beings have jobs. There are millions of people in the world who like me have no skills, no experience and still manage to get a job. I don't understand it. I don't understand what it is that I am doing incorrectly that furthers me away from employment. I have taken enough programs in high school that would give me experience, I have devoted the last four months to a volunteer placement that I hoped would help me gain the skills necessary. I have completed all these things in order to gain a job and yet here I sit jobless. I don't understand how other people who have no "experience" manage to get jobs because I am like them in the respect that I have no experience.

I believe that maybe I have too much experience not with handling cash or preparing/serving food but with people. I believe this because the majority of the programs I have taken are focused on the interactions of human beings. For example, I took a sociology course where most of the expectations were to work in groups or with a partner. The course wanted you to interact with others and make notes on these interactions. Another example would be Food and Technology where you had to work on a team to prepare and serve meals to the student body. You had to be able to work with others well or pretend that you did because a percentage of the grade was based on this skill.

Maybe I'm just making this part up about being over qualified for jobs in order to make myself feel better or maybe I have stumbled upon some dirty little secret of the job world. Either way, I better find a job soon because I have college in the fall and no money to pay for it. I don't expect to save enough money for my whole education but enough to feel better and less stressed about buying something I obviously can't afford.

1 comment:

Heidi the Hick said...

You're too smart. They see you coming and they think, "She'll be gone when she finds something better."

Don't let it get you--it will be good for you later on in life. Don't give up! It's only 5 applications! You'll get in somewhere!